dimanche 11 novembre 2012

Interview : Pete Concrete (Eat Concrete records)


 Our first exposure to the label Eat Concrete was with Enemy Earth's Insterstellar Commute, which sounded incredibly eclectic. We later discovered Baconhead - listen to Brainglue, a tempting slap across the face -  but we'll come back to that in their interview to follow. Eat Concrete reminded us somewhat of the bastard child Warp and Sub Rosa might have had almost 20 years ago, now a fully grown man, handsome and dangerous. The wide gene pool allows him to not limit himself to one style: hip hop beats spooked by GRM effects, ambient albums in a new era of modernity (Second by Lumisokea), or the ethereal pop of Boy King Islands (I Talk to the Wind). Let's also not forget Pete Concrete's masterful mixtapes. This is his interview.

1. Your first musical memories?
Worthwhile memories probably from age 9 onward when I discovered synthesizer music, halfway the 1980's. But I was really captivated by electronic / house / hiphop music in the late eighties by bands such as 808 State, Adamski, Public Enemy, De la Soul. Also early acid house music seemed so exciting at the time.

2. The best record you received as a present? / The worse one?
Best: 808 State – Ex:El when I was 14 because it was the start of wanting to be a dj
Worst: too many, best not offend people:)

3. The first record that you lost?
I've lost so many vinyls when I was dj-ing on techno parties in the late nineties. It was kind of a chaotic and mindbending era for me. A lot of records where stolen but often I only found out years later.

4. The name of your imaginary band?
Psycho In Active

5. What is the perfect record for you ?
Too many spring to mind although I'm not sure if any one really is perfect... My taste has evolved over the years but I still enjoy these a lot: Talk Talk – Laughing Stock, Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love, Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue, Can – Tago Mago, Vangelis – Blade Runner Soundtrack, Mozart – Symphony no 40, Mark van Hoen – Where Is The Truth, Biosphere – Cirque... plus many more....
and from my own label: Enemy Earth – Bardo, Lumisokea – Automatons, Baconhead – Astro Sludge

6. What will music sound like in 50 years / 5000 years?
A lot of music I enjoy is around 50 years old so I doubt it will be that different in decades to come. Soundwise things will change a lot probably, I do hope we ditch the over-compressed stuff of the last few years and get back to a better sound design. For acoustic music things will probably won't be different in such a relatively short time span. Much more interesting is 5000 years ahead but assuming we are still alive and kicking on planet earth by then I hope our intelligence has grown a bit to start enjoying all the great stuff that has been made previously. In my mind music doesn't need to change, it would be great though if more people start listening a bit better.

7. Who changed your life?
My son.

8. Which album on WARP records should never have been made?
Haha, well can't say since I used to be a big fan and collected a lot of their music since they started ages ago. I kinda lost track though, probably around 2000... But they still release some great stuff of course. I do feel they've lost the magic years ago but they're still a great label nonetheless.

9. Your favourite album to have a drink?
Depends on what I'm drinking... I know the upcoming Herrmutt Lobby on Eat Concrete would do great!

10. Your dream guest on Eat Concrete?
The Residents, Mark Hollis, Fennesz to name a few...

11. The record that freaks you out?
Coil - Timemachines

12. The record you would like to listen to right now?
John Coltrane – Blue Train

13. The film that tickles your creativity?
Blade Runner

14. The little-known track that everyone should have heard of?
Sly Stone – Don't Call Me Nigger Whitey.

15. The sell-out record you would envisage to release?
No more sell-outs please!

16. what is the theme of your next mixtape?
Urban Heat Islands

17. “Imagine waking up tomorrow morning and all music has disappeared. All musical instruments and all forms of recorded music, gone. A world without music.”. What will you do ?
Whistle. No, seriously. Actually I can do without music pretty good, I love silence. But in the end I would probably be bored to death without music. I hope I get to keep my musical memory.

18. The text you would like to produce a soundtrack for?
Never been a text person, I'm more interested in sound. Soundtracks are more related to images or feelings in my mind. If I could record my dreams I'd definitely do a soundtrack for them.

19. Have you ever had auditory hallucinations?
Yes. Mostly when falling asleep after smoking a joint.

20. How would you like to die?
Laughing myself to death.




Go to Eat Concrete website or to their soundcloud.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire